EchoBase

Go Back   EchoBase > Dex's Diner
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2018-01-11, 21:56   #1
Access_Flux
Wookiee

Send a message via AIM to Access_Flux Send a message via MSN to Access_Flux Send a message via Yahoo to Access_Flux Send a message via Skype™ to Access_Flux
What other Franchises are you a fan of?

My love of star wars is now easily surpassed by Warhammer 40K. Grim Dark sci-fi has always been a big thing for me. Havent played the tabletop game in years but the novels are great and painting the models has always been a great stress and stress relief for me haha.

On the super light aide of it all, Stephen Universe for sure. That show has such amazing world building, and i love seeing a series with such awesome strong female characters
Old 2018-01-12, 12:21   #2
StormHammer
Rising Jedi

I can't say that my old passion for Star Wars has ever been surpassed, although it may have been equaled by The X-Files back in the day. That is a series that I have watched several times, from beginning to end, and I never tire of it. The movies, alas, are not so great. Nor was the attempted reboot, come to think of it. If anything, I think these latter day outings of Mulder and Scully have shown that it is hard to recapture the lightning in a bottle that defines an original concept.

There are certainly several other franchises that have drawn my interest over the years, across a whole range of media. In terms of novels, one of the most enduring series for me was The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson. I first started reading those books when I was 11 or 12, and barely understood them, but repeated readings over the years filled in the gaps and helped to make it one of my favourite universes to explore.

The Wheel of Time novels (which I'm still reading through, and wow is it a long-winded series), has sort of captured me in the same way, although I am aware later novels have drawn mixed views and disappointment from other readers. I'll judge for myself when I reach them.

In the TV space, the series Grimm was probably the most recent that got its claws into me, and I'll be sad to see it end. I have delayed watching the last season, just to prolong it a bit, but I know it will be another series that in coming years will have repeated viewings. Something about the characters, the plot, the whole premise, just draws me in.

Another series that I thoroughly enjoyed was 'Haven'. Again the mix of characters, the twisting story arc, later revelations and nuances all came together as a whole to formulate a series that will endure in my mind.

In the gaming space, the Fallout series has captured my heart. I know many disliked the latest installment, Fallout 4, but I loved it, just as I did Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Yes, I also loved the base-building aspect, while at the same time hating that they did not take it far enough or fleshing it out more. In fact, across the main game and all DLCs, Steam tells me I spent nearly 1400 hours playing Fallout 4. I also finished the main story and many side quests on PS4, because when I first bought the game on PC my old PC could not handle it (tanking to below 10 fps in several areas). It took a while to save for a new PC, by which time I must have spent a good few hundred hours playing the PS4 version.

There are many criticisms of the game, some of them warranted, others more subjective, and I could easily engage in a rant of my own regarding some of the flaws (and bugs) in the game, and how Bethesda still does not quite go far enough, or take certain things to a logical conclusion. Nevertheless, as a whole, I lost myself exploring that world with multiple characters, and I know this is a point of contention with many gamers, but I find Bethesda's games (both Elder Scrolls and now Fallout) more open to actual 'roleplaying' than some other franchises I've played. Perhaps not in terms of dialogue, because some of the choices are poor, and I gnashed my teeth a few times when the game would not allow me to give an appropriate response, but in freedom of action and play style. I prefer that the usual artificial constraints of skills locked to specific classes is gone, and that I can define a character as I wish. It is not even that I want to project 'myself' onto a character, because I am the type of person who builds a backstory to each character I play, determine what defines them, what motivates 'them' in the game world, and they develop around that core concept, often regardless of what path I, as the player, would have chosen. The characters essentially take on a life of their own.

I think the reason for this is my hobby of writing (which I still dabble in), and creating characters in the context of a story. Those characters often take on a life of their own, often stopping you in your tracks with what you intended for them, because they would not act in that way or make those choices.

Perhaps that is why I am able to enjoy the games more than some other players and look past or ignore some of the inherent flaws. Because I know there are different 'factions' to join, I tend to build characters who will specifically follow one faction and no other which, for me, makes the game eminently more re-playable, but also allows me to inject self-constraint into how a character will act or develop, rather than the game mechanics specifically defining that for me. But I digress, and this is in danger of become one of my 'force long posts' of old.

Last edited by StormHammer : 2018-01-12 at 12:28. Reason: Spelling, and additional thoughts.
StormHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 02:28   #3
Access_Flux
Wookiee

Send a message via AIM to Access_Flux Send a message via MSN to Access_Flux Send a message via Yahoo to Access_Flux Send a message via Skype™ to Access_Flux
The New X files season started last week, which has been a continuation from last season. i understand what you mean, but i think there are little things in it remind me of the original run, plus that episode with Rhys Darby (from flight of the Conchords) was probably one of my favourite ever haha.

Grimm was pretty damn cool, i'm behind on it but i enjoyed the Urban Legends and creatures, i thought it was cool take on folklore. Over Christmas i picked up a book called Vaesen - a book on Viking Creatures and Mythology, and its CRAZY how many creatures in Grimm are Based off Norse Mythology.

the best series i've seen in the last year has to be that German Series Dark - on netflix - which is pretty much Twin peaks meets Stranger Things meets WTF IS HAPPENING. seriously awesome tv, i can't wait for Season 2. i know this is vague, but seriously, watch it