EchoBase

Go Back   EchoBase > Dex's Diner
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2018-01-11, 10:16   #1
StormHammer
Rising Jedi

Smile Happy New Year for 2018!

It has been a very long time since I posted here, and although the wind blows through the mostly abandoned and dusty streets of this forlorn rebel outpost, it still holds a special place in my heart, along with its often absent residents.

I hope you are all doing well, wherever you may be, and offer you all my best wishes for now and the coming year.

Many things have changed in my life, including who I am. No longer Robert, but Rachel. No longer drifting through the void of despair and depression that encompassed me due to my lifelong illness and the passing of my son, but looking forward with new hope. I was in a very dark place for a while, but embracing my true self helped to part the clouds and shine a ray of light into my life.

In spite of all my troubles, I am content. One thing my son taught me was to never give in. I never plan to, in spite of all that life may throw at me.

I wish you all the very best, my friends. I may not come here often, but it is good to see that Echobase is not entirely abandoned or forgotten. The homing beacon still beeps into the vast emptiness, and occasionally attracts notice.

Perhaps this message will find its way to some of you. If it does, I wish you good luck for this and all coming years. And if you ever find yourself in a dark place, know that there is always a way out and through. Peace to you all.
Old 2018-01-11, 20:03   #2
Access_Flux
Wookiee

Send a message via AIM to Access_Flux Send a message via MSN to Access_Flux Send a message via Yahoo to Access_Flux Send a message via Skype™ to Access_Flux
Wow! Blast from the past!!!! Typing up response when I'm on the pc In a bit
Old 2018-01-11, 20:30   #3
Access_Flux
Wookiee

Send a message via AIM to Access_Flux Send a message via MSN to Access_Flux Send a message via Yahoo to Access_Flux Send a message via Skype™ to Access_Flux
wow! this is a trip. i've been thinking of you guys randomly, so its great to see i'm not the only one!

I left Australia a little over 6 years ago, and moved to Oakland, California. Married, with two boys - 3 and 4 - its definitely been a seachange. It's Been Fantastic, but not without its tragedy too. since i got here, both of us lost parents, a child in pregnancy and a grandparent. For all the ups and downs, i wouldn't change a thing though. Got involved with a group called GORUCK in the last years, which as a hobby is the best and dumbest thing i've ever discovered. its helped me as a person discover i'm really capable of anything if i put my mind to it.

Stormie, i'm sorry for your loss, but i'm stoked that you're finding some happiness in finding who you really are. I wish you the best with everything!

surely there must be some more of us out there? i poked LeXX on FB and said i'd seen some chatter here, lets keep it up! stoked to be back everyone!
Old 2018-01-12, 05:05   #4
Wacky
Administrator

It runs older code, but it still checks out.

And just the other day, Phreak was wondering on Skype why I still kept the light on...!

A pleasure to see two old but familiar faces around here. Happy 2018 to you, and to your families. <3 (Wow, this place is so old it doesn't have a smiley for "<3"!)

I'll post at greater length in the coming days, as I really should be abed at this hour.
Wacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-12, 11:39   #5
Ghent
Sith Lord

Send a message via ICQ to Ghent Send a message via AIM to Ghent Send a message via MSN to Ghent Send a message via Skype™ to Ghent
Happy New Year everyone!

Stormy, I'm so happy to hear that you're as well as circumstances permit! We’re always told that there’s light at the end of the tunnel, but if we never reach that light, it matters very little.

Flux, good to hear about your journey, though also rocky, and that you’re happy. :-)

This decade has been a bit of a rollercoaster for me. I’ve done my fair share of university degrees. I lived in Britain for a few years and had settled, but then Brexit threw my future into uncertainty to the extent that I went back to Denmark. At the moment, I’m unemployed, which frankly sucks, but I have a lot of friends very dear to me, which helps me through. I’m happy and would only have changed a few things if I were to do it all again; I think that’s really the best one can hope for. :-)

Your post, Stormy, sent me on a trip down memory lane. I have so much to thank EchoBase and all of you for. Here, I found friends with some of the same interests as me so I didn’t feel like a weirdo (even though I am! :-D), friends who respected me for what I was—even if at times I was lame and boring and argumentative—and you all helped me find a personality and identity not so very different from the person I am today. On reflection, this is perhaps one of the things in my life that I am most grateful for. Thank you.
Ghent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-12, 14:47   #6
StormHammer
Rising Jedi

Thank you, my friends. It is good to see that you are all well, and have endured through the years.

Access_Flux, I'm sorry to hear about your own losses, but glad to hear that you are enjoying your new life in the USA. One of my nephews was born in Michigan, so he's technically American, and as I've delved into my family history I've learned of other distant relations who made it to America in the past (as well as to Australia and Canada). Sadly I never had the chance to go and visit at the time, and now I will probably never go abroad. I hope you have not been affected by the recent forest fires in CA and you and your family are keeping safe and well.

Paul, I'm glad you kept the homing beacon on standby, and a spare droid in the closet for maintenance. This is one of the few places that still sends me a birthday greeting, and I kept meaning to (and forgetting) to post over the intervening years.

Ghent, I am glad to hear you are doing well, while at the same time it's sad to hear that Brexit forced a change in your life. Changing tides, whether political or otherwise, are always in danger of washing away the foundations of what went before. Hopefully those tides will change in your favour in coming years, and foundations can always be rebuilt and strengthened.

I too am unemployed now, although for different reasons. Work was becoming too stressful and difficult due to my illness/disability, even working from home, so when the charity I worked for locally restructured I accepted redundancy. I'm not sure what the future holds, now, but in my case I know I made the right decision. Adapting to changes of varying degrees has been a part of my life for a while, so I can certainly empathise. What does not break us makes us stronger, my friend, yet even if it breaks us, the pieces are salvageable and can come together to form a new mould.

Life is eminently adaptable in even the most extreme circumstance.

It is good to see others revisiting this old haunt. This community in its heyday was certainly something, and while some friends may be absent, I take comfort from those that are here and responded. We each touched each others lives in meaningful ways, and I hope that continues into the future, no matter how the tides ebb and flow.

Oh, and Paul...don't turn the lights off.
Old 2018-01-13, 02:21   #7
Access_Flux
Wookiee

The Bay Area was likened to Shanghai on a bad day, thats how wild the smoke got from the fires. it reached about an hour north of me, so thankfully we didn't have too much problem, we do know a bunch of people affected by it.

don't discount travelling abroad yet! never say never!

so i'm asking as i'm curious, but Ghent, or wacky, are you guys together still? i know its been like 12 years, but that was the last i remember! pardon the forwardness!
Old 2018-01-13, 02:47   #8
Wacky
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access_Flux View Post
wow! this is a trip. i've been thinking of you guys randomly, so its great to see i'm not the only one!
Boy do I know that feeling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access_Flux
I left Australia a little over 6 years ago, and moved to Oakland, California. Married, with two boys - 3 and 4 - its definitely been a seachange.
Wow! Congratulations! Never know where life will take us, eh?

Quote:
It's Been Fantastic, but not without its tragedy too. since i got here, both of us lost parents, a child in pregnancy and a grandparent. For all the ups and downs, i wouldn't change a thing though. Got involved with a group called GORUCK in the last years, which as a hobby is the best and dumbest thing i've ever discovered. its helped me as a person discover i'm really capable of anything if i put my mind to it.
Sorry to hear about the downs, but really glad to hear you've got such a positive outlook. And glad that nature hasn't got you yet, given how hard it's been bearing down on your region lately!

Quote:
Stormie, i'm sorry for your loss, but i'm stoked that you're finding some happiness in finding who you really are. I wish you the best with everything!

surely there must be some more of us out there? i poked LeXX on FB and said i'd seen some chatter here, lets keep it up! stoked to be back everyone!
I've nudged a couple, so we'll see! It'd be nice to have leXX pop by, though she's been mostly quiet for a looong time. The modern world, I guess, and parenting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormHammer View Post
Paul, I'm glad you kept the homing beacon on standby, and a spare droid in the closet for maintenance. This is one of the few places that still sends me a birthday greeting, and I kept meaning to (and forgetting) to post over the intervening years.

[...]

It is good to see others revisiting this old haunt. This community in its heyday was certainly something, and while some friends may be absent, I take comfort from those that are here and responded. We each touched each others lives in meaningful ways, and I hope that continues into the future, no matter how the tides ebb and flow.

Oh, and Paul...don't turn the lights off.
You got it, Stormy. I'm glad I kept that backup cell charged. Now to sweep out some of all this dust... Where's a gonk droid when you need one?

Quote:
don't discount travelling abroad yet! never say never!
@Stormy: What Flux said!

Quote:
so i'm asking as i'm curious, but Ghent, or wacky, are you guys together still? i know its been like 12 years, but that was the last i remember! pardon the forwardness!
Well remembered! We're coming up on our 13th anniversary in May; this was us leaving Durham in north-east England in October 2016, after two magical years -- the first time we spent living together.

I'm moving to Denmark around Easter, and that's as far as life's taking me for the time being.
Wacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 03:00   #9
Access_Flux
Wookiee

Nawwwwww you guys! Congratulations! Stoked to hear it