EchoBase

Go Back   EchoBase > The Galactic Senate
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2013-06-13, 04:49   #1
Katarn07
Rebel Agent

Star Wars: The Sequel Trilogy (Episodes VII-IX)

So who else is excited? I'm happy with all the info we've gotten so far.

Solid director? Check. Abrams was one or my top choices. I'd love Ben Affleck to direct Episode VIII and Brad Bird to direct Episode IX if Abrams isn't doing all three. In fact, it's my hope there's a different director for each film just as the OT had done.

Great screenwriters? Check, check, check! Three screenwriters, one for each movie. I loved Toy Story 3. I was pleasantly surprised by the Robert Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes. And c'mon, the writer of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK is coming back!

Music? Check. John Williams says he's interested, although honestly I don't know if he's up to doing the whole trilogy. I'd like him to return and collaborate with a new composer (Michael Giacchino is my top choice) so he can pass the torch and give us a seamless transition so it's not as jarring as other film franchise scores when a composer is replaced (Spider-Man, Harry Potter, etc).

Original cast returning? All signs point to Hamill, Ford, and Fisher returning. Hopefully no more than supporting roles with a new cast as the main characters. Eager to hear if Billy Dee will be returning and if Anthony Daniels will at least provide the voice of 3PO. Chewie and R2 are replaceable although if Mayhew and Baker are physically up for the parts, I say bring them back too.

Maybe by 2015 someone will have seen this post and responded to it?
Old 2013-06-13, 17:46   #2
txa1265
Father Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarn07 View Post
So who else is excited? I'm happy with all the info we've gotten so far.
I am moderately interested ... I have lost some interest in recent years, have to admit. Somewhere with the cartoons and 3D theatricals.

Quote:
Solid director? Check. Abrams was one or my top choices.
Depends on what you want - Abrams is neither Michael Bay nor Steven Spielberg. I have largely liked his stuff, but never loved it. So it is 'wait and see' for me.

Quote:
I was pleasantly surprised by the Robert Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes.
You mean the shallow, mindless action movie with nothing really tying it to the classic franchise? Yeah, decent mindless fun - something I am reminded of by how much better the UK TV show is ...

Quote:
Music? Check. John Williams says he's interested, although honestly I don't know if he's up to doing the whole trilogy.
I think that with KotOR in particular we have seen that others can pick up stylistic cues from Williams work and create great stuff. And in some ways having Williams take the lead and others continue on is definitely a great idea.

Check out my blog.
txa1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 22:59   #3
Katarn07
Rebel Agent

I understand the burnout. That describes my interest about 7 years ago. After the hype and excitement that was RotS, the prequels didn't sit well with me. Apart from them not being as rewatchable for me, they changed the marketing of SW forever. It was literally everywhere and I had had enough. I hated the cartoons and the EU was becoming too much to comprehend and keep up with. I quit collecting the toys and stopped watching the movies, playing the games, and reading the books. After 5 years or so of not having nothing to do with Star Wars, I bought the 2006 DVDs with the theatrical cuts and I fell in love all over again. I've reread the Thrawn Trilogy recently and replayed some of my old Star Wars games. I also dug out my miniature tabletop game by WotC to play with and display again.

As for Abrams, I love Super 8. It has a very 70s/80s vibe to it. I'd even go as far in saying it felt like a Spielberg movie. I would love a new Star Wars film to have that same sense of nolstagia attached to it rather than being new and shiny like his Trek movies were. The action in those was cool, but I didn't enjoy those movies as much as I do the older Trek series/films. He admits to not being a Trek fan but is a huge Star Wars fan, hopefully he doesn't attempt to reinvent the series as he did with Trek.

As for Sherlock, yes, the mindless action one. I saw the trailers and was appalled at the amount of action and CGI but when I sat through it, I saw a good deal of Sherlock Holmes in it. No, it's not even comparable to the BBC production (which I own on Bluray). But there are number of references to the original Conan Dyle stories and the plot made sense with the nonlinear plot structure. But it does fall in that category of fun action film that movies like The Mummy, Pirates of the Caribbean, Mask of Zorro, National Treasure, and the Sorcerer's Apprentice all fall into rather into the classic mystery genre it should have.

Yes, I forgot about the soundtrack to games like KotOR and Dark Forces where they had original music interwoven with the original score. I miss those days of games.
Old 2013-06-14, 11:43   #4
txa1265
Father Jedi

Quote:
I understand the burnout.
Not burnout - you might have noted how many games I have played, and I play at least JKII every year, and the whole JK series + KotOR at least every other year. I have been continuing to play Star Wars The Old Republic on occasion as well. Still love 4.75 of the movies (first 3, last one, half of AotC and 25% of Phantom Menace) and will watch them ... whenever. So it isn't 'burnout' as much of a lack of interest / trust in anything new.

Quote:
As for Abrams, I love Super 8. It has a very 70s/80s vibe to it. I'd even go as far in saying it felt like a Spielberg movie.
That is because Spielberg was producer, very involved, and Abrams had a stated goal of making it feel like a Spielberg movie. I also thoroughly enjoyed it - took my two boys to see it in theaters while my wife was away with her sister and niece.

But it highlights two Abrams issues (1) lack of creativity/originality - Star Trek is a shallow reboot, and Super 8 is an attempt to remake the look and feel of someone else's stuff. His TV stuff suffers the same issues. And (2) Star Trek (and the sequel) made gobs of money, and therefore there will be a push to emulate that sort of success rather than something more thoughtful and methodical like Super 8.

And that is why I criticize Downey's Sherlock - my whole family enjoyed the movies (first more than second), but when you have a director best at making shallow, action-centric reboots and writing coming from a shallow, action-centric take-off of existing work ... what is the expectation? Transformers: Jedi Battle Arena?

Check out my blog.
Old 2013-06-15, 12:37   #5
Katarn07
Rebel Agent

You make valid points. I'm enjoying the hype leading up to this. It's been a long time since I've felt as passionately about Star Wars. If it's a let-down, it's a let-down. I'm cool with the Prequels existing and if these are more enjoyable for me, great. If not, no big loss. Disney will make gobs of money and fans will all get the chance to experience new Star Wars again.
Old 2015-12-26, 18:33   #6
txa1265
Father Jedi

Well, 2.5 years later ... I was there on opening night at 7PM (first show locally) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Plan to see it a couple more times soon

Check out my blog.
Old 2016-01-20, 20:39   #7
Katarn07
Rebel Agent

I saw the movie and thought it was a well made, entertaining film. I did not love it. I've only seen it once and have no real desire to see it again. I think deep down I can't let go of the EU and this just came off as an elseworlds story.
Old 2018-01-11, 10:41   #8
StormHammer
Rising Jedi

I enjoyed 'The Force Awakens' for what it was. There were some great moments, even some epic moments, but also some scenes that felt a little off. I like some of the new characters and the direction it seems to be heading, while at the same time I was hoping for something more. Admittedly I have only seen the film once, and I think most Star Wars films need repeated viewings to appreciate some of the nuances that may not, at first, be apparent.

I have not yet had a chance to see 'The Last Jedi', which apparently has provoked mixed responses from the fan base. I can't get to the cinema these days, so I need to wait for the Blu-Ray to come out. I can only hope that I will enjoy it.
Old 2018-01-11, 20:36   #9
Access_Flux
Wookiee

Send a message via AIM to Access_Flux Send a message via MSN to Access_Flux Send a message via Yahoo to Access_Flux Send a message via Skype™ to Access_Flux
i'm stressed at the fact that its 4 months till the SOLO movie comes out and we haven't seen anything in the way of marketing material. i'm ready to write it off at this point.

since the canon was restarted, my love for SW as faded a little. i guess i'm jaded by the fact that years and years of my favourite franchise, and the knowledge that came with it was wiped away so a new owner could start up the money making machine again.
Old 2018-01-12, 11:09   #10
Ghent
Sith Lord

Send a message via ICQ to Ghent Send a message via AIM to Ghent Send a message via MSN to Ghent Send a message via Skype™ to Ghent
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head, Stormy: epicness and offness.

All of the OT and PT have that epic quality to them. True, there’s non-epic moments (the most long-winded one probably being the ****ing pod race), but those moments don’t jar too much.

TFA was a good movie. It had a decent story that was definitely epic most of the time. I love the cast (except for ****ing whiney Kylo R3n omg). The music is simply excellent (Williams, marry me!). But there were those bits which just felt off. (True, TPM had the midichlorians, but that’s literally twenty seconds.) What’s with the hi-all-of-a-sudden-we-can-communicate-in-hyperspace? And what about the fact that Ray has never had any formal training as a Jedi, yet the first time she wields a lightsabre, she’s more than a match for a skilled Jedi-turned-Sith?!

RO? I *love* it. Really good and epic story; although it was slightly confused/confusing at times, it was thrilling! (Indicators: I was on the edge of my seat during the data retrieval scenes, and I cried at the end.) Good cast, which did well on the inclusiveness scale. So-so music, but not Williams.

TLJ. Wow, where do I even start on this terrible excuse for a movie? Abysmal story, which was non-epic and whose premise was unbelievable. Also, what a ****ing rip-off: anti-Hoth-meets-Helm’s-Deep, are you even for real? The story alone should lead to a changed title, such as: Star Wars: The Three Boring Chases or how about Star Wars: The Little Cruiser that Couldn't; or, Meanwhile on Deserted-Irish-Island. The score had basically nothing new. I hated many of the new cinematic grips that work well in other movies but not in Star Wars (Tekken battle wtf). I’ve watched it twice, and if anything, the second time was even more of a let-down.

I’m really looking forward to Solo, but it’s a toss-up between something good or mediocre, given the absolute dog’s breakfast they made of TLJ. EpIX could be anything by this point, but I’m optimistic at heart, so I’m holding out for it! :-)
Ghent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-12, 11:30   #11
StormHammer
Rising Jedi

Well, Ghent, your summary of TLJ leaves me with a sense of trepidation, I must admit. I can be very forgiving of flaws in a film if, as a whole, it gels together as an overall good experience. Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy it.

As for Rogue One, I know that it somewhat retreads old ground with the Deathstar and everything, but I thoroughly enjoyed that film. To me it felt like a great Star Wars movie, and I certainly place it up there alongside the original trilogy. Sure, there were a few corny moments, but they were kind of endearing, and overall the film managed to attain the same scale and sense of urgency that I first felt when watching the original Star Wars in the cinema for the first time. I was fully engaged throughout, and liked how the story developed to the finale. I only wish that future Star Wars films can manage to capture the essence of what defined the earlier films and made them so memorable and enduring.

Admittedly my own passion for Star Wars had waned over time, but The Force Awakens rekindled the spark, and Rogue One set it aflame again.

The only caveat is that, in the back of my mind while watching Rogue One, I kept thinking (1) where are the Bothans that died [you lied Mon Mothma]; and [2] Kyle Katarn's heroic endeavours to secure the Deathstar plans are now forever relegated into the void of 'non-canon'.

Don't worry, Kyle, I still remember that hectic battle and your subsequent adventures. Disney can't take that away! :P
Old 2018-01-12, 11:50   #12
Ghent
Sith Lord

Send a message via ICQ to Ghent Send a message via AIM to Ghent Send a message via MSN to Ghent Send a message via Skype™ to Ghent
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormHammer View Post
As for Rogue One, I know that it somewhat retreads old ground with the Deathstar and everything, but I thoroughly enjoyed that film. To me it felt like a great Star Wars movie, and I certainly place it up there alongside the original trilogy. Sure, there were a few corny moments, but they were kind of endearing, and overall the film managed to attain the same scale and sense of urgency that I first felt when watching the original Star Wars in the cinema for the first time.... the essence of what defined the earlier films and made them so memorable and enduring.... The Force Awakens rekindled the spark, and Rogue One set it aflame again.
That is, hands-down, the most best distillation of RO I have read. I could not agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormHammer View Post
(1) where are the Bothans that died [you lied Mon Mothma];
Inorite, like totally #humanwashing
Old 2018-01-12, 11:51   #13
Ghent
Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghent View Post
Inorite, like totally #humanwashing
........ zOMG! I just realised that I may just be the first person to use a hashtag on EB!

... wait, that must be the first meme-GIF used!!

:-D